Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's 1944! And rationing is tight.

I cleaned out my refrigerator a few days ago and was surprised (in a bad way) at all the food I had to throw out because I forgot it was in there. I forgot an artichoke! How did that happen, I love artichokes! So, I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to try rations for a week. Since this is my first time I'm going to do lots of things wrong, I'll bet, but I went through my ration cookbooks and picked out recipes for breakfast lunch and dinner for a week. I stuck to things featuring ingredients I already have on hand, and I tried to make my grocery list very small. I'm working with what I have on hand. Leftovers from one night's dinner will go into the next day's lunch to stretch, and I'll try not to throw anything out. I am going to try to use it all.

I spent $58 dollars today on things I didn't have, like nuts and soybeans. If I run out of something else, like flour or sugar, I guess I'll just have to make do.

Tomorrow's breakfast will be oatmeal with dried fruit, coffee with milk and an egg. For lunch I'll try the carrot filling (seen on another post) on my sandwich, and for dinner I plan on making Kidney bean loaf. I'll make bread in the morning and hope it lasts through the week.

Wish me luck!

No comments: